Becoming Wildly Resilient: Values, Purpose and Pride
Willie Edward Taylor Carver Jr., an academic advisor with UK Gatton College of Business and Economics, joined the “Becoming Wildly Resilient” podcast in July 2023 to talk about putting values into action.
Listen as Willie shares his story and what he’s learned about resilience along the way. He talks about his experiences as a gay Appalachian, the 2022 Kentucky Teacher of the Year and connecting with folks near and far as an advocate. Willie also shares tips for being a better ally and reads a poem from his new book “Gay Poems for Red States,” published in June 2023 by The University Press of Kentucky.
Mentioned in this episode
- Guest Website: Willie Edward Taylor Carver Jr.
- Award: 2022 Kentucky Teacher of the Year
- Advocacy: organizations Willie works with
- Concept: Brene Brown on vulnerability
- Poetry Book: “Gay Poems for Red States” by Willie Edward Taylor Carver Jr.
- Organization: It Gets Better Project
- Organization: Kentucky 120 United-AFT
- Testimony: Willie speaks before the US House Oversight and Reform Subcommittee on Civil Rights
- Le Monde Article: “In Kentucky, a conservative offensive, led by a religious minority, is being waged on schools” by Piotr Smolar
- Honor: Willie visits the White House
- University Resource: Office of LGBTQ* Resources
- Funny Show: “Derry Girls”
- Funny Social Media Account: National Parks Service
- Music Playlist: A Wildly Resilient Playlist available on Spotify, Apple Music, and YouTube Music
- Shoutout: Stephanie Lynch, Director of Advising for Gatton College of Business and Economics
- Willie’s Self-Care Move: watching Charlotte Dobre reaction videos
- Upcoming Events: UK Human Resources calendar
- Transcript: view the episode transcript here
Have feedback or know someone at UK that would be a good guest? Email us at email@example.com.
You can listen and follow all episodes of "Becoming Wildly Resilient" wherever you find your podcasts.