Skip to main

All new hires are required to complete an I-9 form on or before their first day of employment.

Forms must be completed in person at the HR Employment front desk in Scovell Hall. Click here for directions. To promote physical distancing and ensure quick service, please schedule an appointment to complete the I-9 form.

Schedule an I-9 appointment




Acceptable I-9 documents

Employees may present one selection from List A OR a combination of one selection from List B AND one selection from List C. 

All documents must be unexpired.

List A: Documents that establish both identity and employment authorization

  • U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
  • Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  • Foreign Passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
  • Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
  • For a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer because of his or her status:
    • Foreign passport; and proof
    • Form I-94 or Form I-94A that has the following
      • The same name as the passport; and
      • An endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status as long as that period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form.
  • Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM and RMI.


List B: Documents that establish identity

  • Driver's license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
  • ID card issued by federal, state, or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
  • School ID card with a photograph
  • Voter's registration card
  • U.S. Military card or draft record
  • Military dependent's ID card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority

For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above one of the following is required:

  • School record or report card
  • Clinic, doctor or hospital record
  • Day-care or nursery school record


List C: Documents that establish employment authorization

  • Social Security Account Number card, unless the card includes one of the following restrictions:
      Note: The university cannot accept a metal, plastic or any commemorative social security card not issued by the Social Security Administration
  • Certification or report of birth issued by the Department of State (Forms DS-1350, FS-545, FS-240)
  • Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a State, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal
  • Native American tribal document
  • US Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
  • Identification Card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)

Employment authorization document issued by the Department of homeland Security

​An example of many of these documents can be found here.

Who must complete an I-9 form?

Once you have accepted a job offer at UK, I-9 forms must be completed in person at the HR Employment front desk in Scovell Hall. Note: This office is still open during the COVID shutdown. To promote physical distancing, we are offering scheduled appointments to complete the I-9 in person.

  • All new UK employees (regular, temporary, and student).
  • Any former UK employee (United States citizens only) returning to the University after 1 year.
  • Non-citizens of the United States who return to employment with the University after any period of separation.
  • UK retirees returning to UK in a post- retirement appointment or in any other UK paid capacity (e.g. Through an HR Temporary Employment assignment).
  • Post-doc scholars