If you or your dependents are no longer eligible for health or dental insurance coverage with the university, you may purchase COBRA coverage for up to 18 months for employees or up to 36 months for eligible dependents.
You may need COBRA coverage should you experience any one of the following changes:
- Your employment ends
- You work fewer hours
- You transfer to a position not eligible for benefits (on-call status, etc.)
- You go on an unpaid leave of absence
Your dependents may need COBRA coverage in the event of one of the following:
- Death of a covered employee
- Divorce or legal separation from a covered employee
- Dependent child of covered employee is no longer eligible due to turning 26 years of age.
If your dependent is eligible for COBRA coverage based on either an employee's divorce or legal separation or dependent’s loss of eligibility, you must contact HR Benefits office within 30 days of that event and complete a new insurance form canceling your dependent from your plan. Failure to do this may result in your having to pay for additional coverage your dependent is not eligible to use.