Becoming Wildly Resilient: Mindfulness and Money
Dr. Dan Stone, a Professor of Accountancy at the UK Gatton College of Business and Economics, joined “Becoming Wildly Resilient” in April 2023 to talk about mindfulness, money and the intersection of the two.
Listen as Dan shares his “wealth” of knowledge from his personal life and professional work as a professor, researcher and mindfulness teacher. You’ll hear Dan explain what mindfulness is and how it gets us back in touch with what it meant to be human 250,000 years ago. He provides ways you can incorporate mindfulness practices into your daily life and how they can benefit your financial wellness. Toward the end, Dan also shares advice as someone nearing the end of their career and leads us through a two-minute loving-kindness meditation.
Mentioned in this episode
- “Ep. 7: From Feelings to Needs” with Amy Rodquist-Kodet
- “Ep. 10: Investing in Yourself” with Dr. Nichole Huff
- “Ep. 15: Supporting a Culture of Self-Care” with Dean Jay Miller
- “Ep. 22: Finding Your Flow” with Amy Rodquist-Kodet
- “Ep. 26: Understanding Anxiety and Depression” with Kim Releford, LCSW
- “Ep. 29: Give Yourself a Break” with HR Health and Wellness experts
- University Club: pickleball
- Research article: "Workplace mindfulness in accounting practice: issues, opportunities, and challenges"
- Research: “Doing Something is Better Than Doing Nothing for Most People, Study Shows” from University of Virginia
- Book: “Stranger in a Strange Land” by Robert A. Heinlein
- Article: Apple CEO Tim Cook on iPhone usage time
- Concept: satori
- Tool: walking meditation from Headspace
- Concept: Parkinson’s Law and how to shorten hour-long meetings
- Built environment example: San Francisco Airport yoga rooms
- Student resource: Counseling Center
- Employee resource: Koru mindfulness course
- Visit: Shaker Village
- Article: Big Brothers, Big Sisters of the Bluegrass embezzlement
- Employee resources: financial wellness support, including CAPTRUST and Enrich
- Research: Dr. Susan David on emotions as data, not directives
- Concept: sabbatical
- Research: "The Increasing Importance of a Best Friend at Work" by Gallup
Playlist: A Wildly Resilient Playlist, available on Spotify, Apple Music, and YouTube Music
- What songs would you add? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Employee resource: Staff Senate C.R.I.S.I.S. fund for employees experiencing hardship
- Mindfulness app: UK employees can receive a free membership to Headspace
- Upcoming events: UK Human Resources calendar
Have feedback or know someone at UK who would be a good guest? Email us at email@example.com.
You can listen and follow all episodes of "Becoming Wildly Resilient" wherever you find your podcasts.