Staff Senate and Human Resources invited everyone — faculty and staff — to take moments to pause during October 5-9 to “Recognize and Recharge.” In addition to events throughout the week, we launched a new community quickstarts webpage and offered a book raffle and year-round tools for appreciation, belonging and self-care.
Faculty and staff at the university have been challenged during the past months to change the way they work, often taking on additional responsibilities with family at home as well. While it may be difficult to find a few short minutes to recognize our co-workers or to personally recharge, it is essential to our well-being.
The week ended with a message from UK President Eli Capilouto relaying his appreciation to UK employees.
To cultivate more appreciation among colleagues, we shared appreciation tools based on The 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace, which was one of the books we recommended. We highlighted three recommended books and 100 employees won their choice of these options in a raffle:
- The 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace by Gary Chapman and Paul White
- We Can’t Talk About That at Work! How to Talk About Race, Religion, Politics, and other Polarizing Topics by Mary Frances Winters
- The Gifts of Imperfection: 10th Anniversary Edition by Brené Brown
These raffle winners will be notified soon.
- Moment of Appreciation Meditation
- Real Talk with Work-Life Therapists
- Find Your Center Yoga
- HR Training and Development Overview of Resources