Skip to main

Health, Dental and Vision Insurance

If you are currently enrolled in a UK health, dental and/or vision plan, that coverage will continue though the end of the month when you separate from UK.

This coverage may be continued beyond your final pay period through the Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act (COBRA): You and/or your eligible family members may be eligible to continue your UK health, dental and/or vision insurance (as well as health care flexible spending) for a limited time. Note: To continue these benefits, you must apply within 60 days of receiving a COBRA notice or your layoff date, whichever is later. Click here for details on enrollment through COBRA.

If you are eligible to retire from UK:  The simplest way to maintain health benefits eligibility and participation is to enroll in a UK retiree health plan upon retiring.

In certain situations, you may choose to "postpone" (defer) your UK retiree health benefit. For example, if you accept a new job outside UK that provides health benefits or if you are covered under a spouse's health plan. One requirement to keep in mind: UK retirees (and dependents) who defer UK retiree health coverage must have proof of other health insurance coverage during the 12 months prior to reactivating University health insurance (with no more than a 63 day break in coverage). Please note: Once your health plan coverage has been postponed, it can be reactivated one-time, meaning future deferrals are not possible. If you would like to defer your UK coverage, simply contact the UK Employee Benefits Office and complete a deferral form.

Life Insurance and Voluntary Insurance Plans

UK-provided basic life insurance and any additional optional life insurance coverage may be converted to an individual policy. You may also make arrangements to continue voluntary benefits such as universal life insurance, cancer/specified disease insurance, among others after separating from employment at UK. Otherwise, this coverage ends on your separation date from UK.

Retirement Savings Plans

Your University retirement savings account(s) may remain in place (though you can’t make any further contributions) after you leave UK. You have the option to transfer these funds to a future employer’s retirement savings plan or a personal individual retirement account (IRA).

Employees hired prior to January 1, 2010: Employees hired prior to January 1, 2010 are fully vested regardless of length of service. If you fall into this category, this means all funds contributed to your 403(b) savings account (both employee and employer contributions) remain in your account even after you separate from UK

Employees hired on or after January 1, 2010: 403(b) retirement savings accounts for employees hired on or after January 1, 2010 feature a three-year vesting schedule.  Employees in this category must work for the University for a period of three years to see the UK-contributed portion of their accounts become “vested.” In other words, employees (hired on or after January 1, 2010) who leave the University before completing three years of service will not keep any portion of those retirement account funds (10% match) contributed by the University over that time period. Employees hired on or after January 1 will have full access to the 5% employee-contributed portion of their retirement account(s).

Questions? Contact us for a personal consultation.

If you have questions about your benefits, please contact UK Employee Benefits at or (859) 257-9519, option 3