Communicating Across Cultures
duration - 4 hours
When faced by an interaction that we do not understand, people tend to interpret the others involved as "abnormal", "weird", or "wrong". This tendency can lead to prejudice. It is vital that we learn to control the human tendency to translate "different from me" into "less than me." We can learn to do this. Awareness of cultural differences doesn't have to divide us from each other. It doesn't have to paralyze us either, for fear of not saying the "right thing". In fact, becoming more aware of our cultural differences, as well as exploring our similarities, can help us communicate with each other more effectively.
- Recognize the six fundamental patterns of cultural difference.
- Respect differences and work together.
- Recognize the importance of non-verbal communication in multicultural interactions.
- Recognize and apply the ultimate gesture when communicating multi-culturally.
- Apply guidelines for multicultural collaboration.
- Identify and apply techniques to communicate across culture and language.
- Recognize and use tactics for removing cross cultural communication barriers.
Date(s) & Time(s)
Unfortunately, this class is not scheduled at this time.
Check back periodically for a scheduled date. If you would, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the course you are interested in attending, your phone number, email address, and any questions you might have for us.
Thank you, HR Training & Development
To register and complete this course, please login to myUK. After logging in, choose the Training tab which is found as one of the options under the Employee Self-Service tab.